Register with us

Only one person per household needs to apply.

Select a current activation to start your registration process or call 0508 754 163 to register by phone.

If we have not activated for the emergency event you are affected by and you need help, contact your local civil defence group for support:

Local civil defence groups – Civil defence


We’ll get in touch

When we receive your registration, a Matching and Placement Coordinator will be in touch to discuss your situation and temporary accommodation needs. It may take us up to 5 days to get back to you due to the volume of registrations in an activation.

Finding suitable temporary accommodation for your household can take some time, we will arrange for suitable temporary accommodation for your household as soon as it is available.

To help us better understand your situation and temporary accommodation needs, let us know if:

  • you or someone in your household has medical requirements or mobility needs
  • you have pets or livestock
  • you are a public or community housing tenant
  • you are registering on behalf of someone else

We will need evidence that the affected property is your primary residence, for example:

  • a red or yellow placard by a Rapid Building Assessor
  • utility bills and outgoings
  • rental agreement

If you cannot stay in your damaged home, you may need to stay with friends, whānau, or in emergency accommodation provided by your local civil defence groups until we can find suitable temporary accommodation for your household.


Temporary accommodation options

Temporary accommodation options may be limited. Some options may include commercial accommodation (e.g., hotels or motels), relocatable accommodation (e.g., cabins or motorhomes), and in some cases, housing in residential areas.

When there is a shortage of suitable temporary accommodation, TAS may procure and deploy additional housing supply to be used as temporary accommodation to support households displaced by civil defence emergencies.

Please understand that it may be difficult to meet all your housing needs, such as being close to work or housing your pets. Consider ways you can be flexible with your temporary accommodation needs as you work towards returning home or finding a new place to live.>

For example, if the temporary accommodation is not close to your workplace, talk to your employer about flexible working arrangement options. Or if the temporary accommodation cannot take pets, is there a family member or friend who could mind your pet for you?

Being flexible can help us find you suitable temporary accommodation faster.


Cost for temporary accommodation

You need to pay a weekly cost for the temporary accommodation, this is called a 'part payment’. For certain temporary accommodation options the part payment is charged at a fixed rate. For other options, the part payment is 90 percent of the lower quartile market rent for the affected region you are in.

Market Rent - Tenancy Services

The part payment payable by the households in temporary accommodation generally do not cover the full cost of renting the property, TAS will cover the remaining costs for the use of these properties for temporary accommodation purposes.

If you are late with your part payments by 10 working days or more, your agreement for the temporary accommodation may be terminated.

If you cannot afford your part payments, you may apply for a temporary or ongoing change to your part payment due to financial hardship. Speak with your Matching and Placement Coordinator for eligibility and process.

Financial information & support

If you have insurance, review your policy to find out your rent cover for temporary accommodation. If you are uninsured, or your insurance policy does not cover temporary accommodation, you may be eligible for financial assistance through the Ministry of Social Development.

Additional resources


Returning to your home

You can use the temporary accommodation while you work towards returning to your home or wait to confirm the specific circumstances for your home.

We encourage you to take active steps to find permanent accommodation. Your Matching and Placement Coordinator will be in regular contact to discuss and support your changing needs.

If returning to the home you were displaced from is not a viable option, your Matching and Placement Coordinator can refer you to information on renting or other housing options.

Jump to top